Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Springtime is coming...


 photo courtesy of Country Living Magazine
....and I can't wait!  I was so excited when I saw a puddle (aka: melted snow!!!) in the parking lot of my daughter's dance studio today.  This winter has been L O N G!  Grand Rapids, MI (which we live on the outskirts of) was rated #3 for being the Snowiest City of Winter 2013-13 according to the Weather Channel.  Not only that, but Grand Rapids had now experienced it's 2nd snowiest weather ever in all time according to the Mlive Morning review on 2/28/14.  Winters like this remind me of my childhood.  I loved it then, but in March 2014, I am ready to plant seeds, spring clean our property (I don't know if we had more snow or willow branches falling) and be done with snow!  First item to plant outside, will be a honeysuckle vine - pictured above, in memory of my daughter's friend.  It is the favorite flowering vine of the friend's grandma and we had the pleasure of talking about it just last week when we were all together.

A few other flowers that we will be adding to our garden again this year....  From Territorial Seed Company, we have cleome, cosmos, delphinium, dianthus, poppies, snapdragons, strawflower, sunflowers, sweet peas and zinnias.











From Pinetree Garden Seeds, we have: baby's breath, dahlia, rudbeckia, sunflowers and ....vegetables :).


add to this a few more annuals and already established perennials like larkspur, peony, gladiolas, gooseneck loosestrife, ageratum and veronica....

  - and I'd say it is going to be a great year in the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment